Check out these fabulous tips on how to cope on your first flight so that you can look forward to many more trips around our amazing world.
Being able to get on a plane and jet off to somewhere exotic is a wonderful feeling. It takes the need of long days travelling across countries by car, bus or train and turns it into a swift journey. However, many people suffer anxiety when it comes to taking to the air due to their fear of something going wrong, or perhaps from claustrophobia. This shouldn’t mean that you should avoid flying altogether though, and there are some amazing ways to help yourself cope when it comes to stepping aboard a plane for the first time.
Fly with Someone You Trust
One of the best ways of being able to take on everything when it’s your first time flying is to fly with someone that you trust, rather than going it alone. Being able to tell that person how you’re feeling and allowing them to comfort you is sometimes enough to keep those nerves at bay. It’s no secret that planes can often go through turbulence when flying through certain weather conditions, so the touch of that person’s hand might just make you feel that little bit safer. Having someone else there will also mean that you’re able to talk to them and take your mind off your worries for a little while.
Get Some Sleep!
Some people use their flight times as the perfect opportunity to catch up on some sleep. Flights can often be at strange times like very early in the morning, or in the middle of the night. Use this chance to catch up on some sleep so that when you wake up, you’re feeling refreshed and ready to enjoy your first vacation abroad. Take a look at this guide to sleeping on a plane so that you can get yourself as comfortable as possible and sleep your way through!
Take Along Distractions
One of the best ways of coping with the fear of flying is by packing things in your carryon that will take your mind off the situation. It’s likely that you’re going to be on the plane for a few hours, so take a look at these ideas of distraction so that you’re able to zone out and enjoy yourself while you’re up in the air:
- Taking a good book is a fantastic way of losing yourself in the moment and forgetting about your worries. Why not pop some ear plugs in, and read away the entire flight? Take a choice of your favourite books, or choose a brand new one so that you’re really able to immerse yourself.
- Download a film or TV series to your phone or tablet to watch while you’re in the air. Choosing something that makes you feel comfortable and laugh is a great way of enjoying the flight with some amazing entertainment. Just don’t forget to put your device on airplane mode!
- Indulge in some adult colouring books so that you’re able to enjoy it during and after your first ever flight.
- Create a killer playlist for your journey. Many people like to include songs that are about taking to the skies like Rocket man by Elton John. It makes the experience that little bit more exciting.
- Play games like the alphabet game with the person you’re flying with. It involves naming things from consecutive letters of the alphabet that you can see around you. It can keep you entertained for hours!
- Download some offline games for your phone. Games that involve puzzles and strategies are a great way of keeping your mind off the fact you’re flying.
Speak to Your GP Doctor Before Flying
If you think that you’re going to struggle with flying, then speak to your GP in plenty of time before getting on the plane so that you’re able to find a treatment that will allow you to relax and possibly even enjoy your flight. They can prescribe beta blockers which will block out physical symptoms of anxiety, or they can give you information that will help you remain calm during parts that might make you feel anxious. There are plenty of methods of coping, and your GP is the best person to speak to about your worries before your flight.
Embrace the Flight Adventure
Rather than feeling worried with every bump and strange noise that you feel, why not embrace your first time flying and turn any feelings of anxiety into feelings of exhilaration? Take on the sudden movements of the plane and feel enthralled by the views that you will come across. Some people like to take their cameras on board so they can begin their photo album of their holiday abroad. Other people like to treat their plane journeys as the beginning of their holiday, by taking advantage of the inflight menus and drinks that are on offer. Try and embrace the experience rather than panic about it.
Use Anxiety Coping Techniques
Finally, if you know that you’re going to have anxiety when you’re flying then remember that’s completely normal. Take a look at these techniques which will help you calm yourself down and remain composed:
- Remember that what goes up, must come down – and not just the plane either. No matter how anxious you’re feeling, remember that at some point or another, you will begin to feel normal again. Once you’re able to get this into your head, your subconscious should follow and you’ll notice anxiety attacks are becoming further and fewer.
- Speak to a member of the cabin crew about your worries, and they will be able to reassure you by going over safety rules again, and explaining why the plane is doing what it’s doing.
- Breathe deeply and slowly. It may sound generic, but it really works.
Flying doesn’t have to be something that you’re worried about, but if you are, use these fabulous tips and you’ll see that it really isn’t bad at all!