It’s Fabulous to Be Single: 7 advantages of traveling solo
Being single terrified me at first. I’d never been alone in my entire life. I went from my parents to my husband, where I played the role of obedient wife, nurturing mother, and smiling hostess. But after the divorce, I found that I was much happier alone, rather than being trapped in a relationship where I felt as if I couldn’t be myself.
Oh, sure, I had lived the “perfect marriage,” although perfect was far from reality. While my husband had many great qualities, our relationship was one of social expectations and smokescreens. I felt confined; I spent my days going through the motions and unable to experience life the way I wanted. I wanted out.
Although our divorce wasn’t easy, I finally felt liberated, able to live life for myself and embrace all that the world had to offer.
There’s such a stigma to being single (a.k.a. alone), and I do experience moments of loneliness. But for me, being single became a doorway to self-discovery. I found a whole new world and a whole new me. I don’t have to compromise, and I’m free to live life on my own terms.
Will I enter into a committed relationship again? Perhaps, if the right partner comes along. Meanwhile, here are seven reasons why it’s fabulous to travel single. You can:
1) Choose what you want to do and when. You don’t have to check multiple calendars or work your life around another person’s schedule. You can sign up for tours, eat when and where you want and be a bit more spontaneous.
2) Make your own friends, regardless of whether they get along with your partner or not. Part of the fun of traveling is meeting new friends from different cultures. This is so much easier to do when you’re single!
3) Enjoy peace and quiet whenever you need it. Traveling solo I can be social when I want and when I prefer to read a book or get a massage I’m not worried about hurting another persons feelings.
4) Spend your money without having to explain your purchases, like why you splurged on that new pair of shoes.
5) Eat healthily without being tempted by your partner’s choices—talk about a diet buster! I can eat when I want without worrying about someone else’s choices.
6) Enjoy a sensual and sexual life without boundaries or restrictions. Hallelujah!
7) Devote your time and energy to focusing on you—your health, interests, friendships and career.
About The Author: Barbara McNally is the author of Unbridled, a memoir chronicling her journey from stifled, predictable housewife to independent and joyous living. A mother and philanthropist living in San Diego, California, Barbara is also the founder of Mother, Lover, Fighter, Sage, a foundation dedicated to providing women with opportunities for growth and self-discovery. To learn more, visit her website at: UnbridledFreedom.com. You can follow Barbara at @liveunbridled or at facebook.com/liveunbridled.