Last year Clint and I had a fabulous vacation stay at The Fernandez Bay Resort on Cat Island in the Bahamas. Not only did they have a spectacular oceanfront setting, but the food there was wonderful. Each evening we enjoyed a delicious buffet filled with interesting Caribbean dishes. Every night of the week had a differing theme. On Asian night this dish of Pineapple Fried Rice appeared (and disappeared quickly) as everyone scooped up generous portions. You’ll love this yummy recipe that’s perfect for Spring and Summer meals.
Take a walk through the Fernandez Bay Resort where we sampled this great dish by Reading our Cat Island Trip Report.
Pineapple Fried Rice
-1 1/2 cups water
-1 cup white rice
-1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil
-1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
-1/3 cup diced red onion
-1 cup diced pineapple (fresh)
-2 tablespoons soy sauce
-1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
-1/2 cup green peas
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
* I made two changes to my preperation… I started off with leftover white rice to save time and I added some chopped garlic to the pan when I cooked the onions and peppers.
- Combine first 2 ingredients in a sauce-pan; bring to a boil.
- Stir with a fork, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.Remove from heat and fluff rice with a fork. Set aside.
- Place sesame oil and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Add pineapple; cook 3 more minutes.
- Stir in rice. Add soy sauce and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Fold in remaining ingredients.
Plate and enjoy!