Popular tourist adventures in the Himalaya Mountains of India
India is a vast country with some of the world’s most diverse geographical features located within its borders. It’s no surprise then that adventurers have been making treks to India by any means necessary for centuries. The Himalayas, located at India’s Northern boundary, sit as a crown atop the country. The Himalayas, which means ‘home of snow’, are the world’s youngest and highest mountain ranges which continue to grow at approximately 2 1/2 inches per year.
Thousands of outdoor enthusiasts flock every year to this breathtaking region of mountains. The foothills of these majestic ranges are replete with adventure tourism destinations such as the Rishikesh, Uttarkashi, Ladakh. Visiting these places offers ample opportunity to explore the area’s fabulous natural beauty and indulge in the enthralling adventure activities.
Here are the top adventure activities readily available for travelers who make the unforgettable journey to India’s Himalayan Mountains:
- Trekking. Trekking is the best way to explore these majestic mountain ranges. The Himalayas offer breathtaking trekking routes that really captivate the attention of the tourists. The vast area covered by Kakorams and Indian Himalayas, there are endless possibilities for trekking.
- Camping: The Greater Himalayan ranges are not just for hiking and trekking. They provide a better way to enjoy a vacation immersed in nature through camping. Camping in the foothills of the Himalayas Mountains is one of the finest ways of luxuriating in the bewilderment of nature and sharing the warmth and love of the local population while enjoying an adventure in Himalayas.
- Jeep Safari: The matchless excitement that the Jeep Safari offers to adventure enthusiasts cannot be explained in words. Through this safari, visitors can explore the unadulterated destinations. The major jeep safari area in the Himalayas is the Trans Himalayan region. The Trans-Himalayan region is something that really attracts the explorers to chill out in the natural and man-made wonders located within the charming landscapes.
- River Rafting: River Rafting, also known as whitewater rafting, is a sport that challenges the ability of an adventurer to stir against the rapids of the river. Gushing through the waves of the rivers of various destinations, like Rishikesh, Alaknanda etc, provides an unforgettable experience to the adventure bugs…
- Rock Climbing: When talking about rock climbing, there is no alternative for the mighty Himalayas. Destinations like Rishikesh, Uttarkashi and other surrounding areas beckon the skilled climbers from all over the globe to take up the challenge of scaling the peaks of the Himalayas.
- Biking: Biking in the rugged topography of the Himalayas is one of the most challenging and exciting adventure sports that one could have ever indulged in. To experience the local people and culture, biking is a great option. Biking provides a wonderful opportunity to visit the remote places, villages and towns, and get a deep insight about their culture and lifestyle.
- Jungle Safari: Jungle Safari is an excellent option to discover the wilds of the Indian Himalayas. It also gives the perfect opportunity to come close to the natural beauty of the forests. Jungle safari means exploring the forests on an elephant’s back or in a jeep. It is totally a different experience, hard to describe in words.
- Bungee Jumping: Bungee Jumping is an adventure activity that involves jumping from higher point or structure. In order to ensure complete safety, an individual is connected to a large elastic cord. This structure is usually a fixed object like building, crane or bridge. An individual also has the option to jump from a non-fixed object, like a helicopter or hot-air-balloon.
- Skiing: The Himalayas are an ideal location for the adventure freaks. The slopes of Uttarakhand covered with snow, become a perfect place for skiing in the winters. As the elements are overpowered, thrill swells up. The broad spaces above the snow line, provides the stimulating possibilities for ski-tourism.
An Indian Himalaya expedition provides a great thrill through the diverse range of adventure activities. All these enthralling activities make the Indian Himalayas one the most enticing spots for the adventure not only in the Indian peninsula, but all over the globe!
About Author: Author is a professional travelogue and adventure enthusiast who has keen interest to travel all the adventurous destinations of India. In this post he has shared information about adventure activities like camping, Biking and trekking in Indian Himalayas.